Updated: Jan 1
I use this recipe when I am in a time pinch for a red sauce on a pizza or with pasta! Choose the seasonings that match your dish!
8 chopped mushrooms - I like to do pizza like thin slices
diced garlic - I like strong garlic flavor so I used 2 big cloves
2-3 T butter
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can of tap water
salt and pepper to taste, be generous with the salt as the tomato will soak up that flavor
2 T micro leeks, chopped
1 T micro basil
for a pizza I use 2 t basil, 2 t oregano, and 1/2 t thyme
for a pasta dish I like using 2 t basil, 2 t oregano, and 2 t parsley
1. Get a sauce pan heated up to medium high and put 2 tablespoons of butter in it.
2. Add in the garlic once it is sizzling and let it cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add in the mushrooms and cook until they get soft and release moisture.
4. Add in all of the remaining ingredients except the water and stir to combine them all. Once it is all combined slowly add water to desired thickness.
5. Then taste the sauce and make sure it has enough seasoning! I like to do it slightly different every time and play with the ratios depending on the theme of my toppings. For example I did a sundried tomato basil crust cheese pizza so I put a little extra basil and thyme in the sauce to go with the crust flavo, as well as extra mushrooms to enhance the flavor even more!
I find that the more I play with the seasonings on my food rather than just following the recipe, I can get more enjoyment out of one recipe because it doesn't always taste exactly the same! I would suggest you try that with this recipe!