This delicious one pan meal is gluten free and full of flavor! I had made steak with mashed sweet potatoes the night before and used the leftovers to make this casserole! I have included the recipe for the mashed sweet potatoes as well. Try this and let me know what you think!
Ingredients for Mashed Sweet Potato Base: 3-4 large sweet potatoes
1/4-1/3 cup butter (I like extra butter flavor)
1/2 t garlic powder
lots of salt to taste
Instructions for Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
1. Get a large pot of water boiling and add a generous amount of salt
2. Peel sweet potatoes and chop into medium sized cubes
3. Boil potatoes until soft and drain. Add in butter, garlic powder, and extra salt and mash. Taste and add extra seasonings as desired.
Ingredients for Casserole:
mashed sweet potatoes from above recipe
1/2 lb hot sausage, ground (or plain sausage and you add hot sauce)
1/2 cup chopped micro leeks
1 cup shredded/crumbled cheese of your choice (I used Feta)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. Cook hot sausage in large cast iron pan. While it's cooking, scramble the eggs in a bowl. Once cooked through, add sausage into the bowl with the eggs and stir, then add in leeks, pepper, salt and shredded cheese.
3. Put the mashed sweet potato in the bottom of the cast iron pan, about 1.5-2 inches thick. Then pour the egg mixture onto the sweet potato.
4. Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes or until egg is cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes and dig in!