Mmmmm. This green bean casserole has amazing flavor - and you can forget using those bags of pre-made french onions. They are deep fried in oil that is not good for you and they are so greasy! Try this out and see if you like it better, the onions are baked in the oven and the gravy uses only gluten free flour!
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
¼ c gluten free flour
2 T nutritional yeast
1 t kosher salt
Beans and Sauce:
2 T & 1 t salt, separated
1 lb fresh green beans, halved
2 T butter
12 oz mushrooms
½ t pepper
2 cloves garlic
¼ t fresh ground nutmeg
2 T gluten free flour
1 c chicken broth
1 c coconut milk/lactose free milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Combine topping all ingredients except the flour in a mixing bowl and toss. Then add in the flower and toss, making sure to sprinkle the flour evenly on the onions, not too heavily in one spot or another. I like to sprinkle a little, toss, sprinkle more, and repeat. Use a baking tray and silicone mat. Place the onions on the tray and bake until golden brown, approx. 30 minutes. Toss 2 to 3 times during cooking, and be sure to check them every 5 minutes at the end because they can burn quickly. Once done and removed from oven, turn it down to 400 degrees F.
3. While onions are cooking, prepare the beans. Blanch in boiling water and salt for 5 minutes. Immediately plunged into an ice bath, then drain and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a 12 inch cast iron pan and set on medium high heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms are wet. Add garlic and nutmeg, cook for 2 more minutes. Put the heat on medium and sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring constantly cooking for 1 minute (until the flour has cooked). Add broth and simmer, then decrease the heat and add milk. Using a whisk, stir constantly and cook until it thickens, 6-8 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ of the onions and all of the green beans. Top with the remaining onions and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F until bubbly, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately with microgreens on the top!